Mencap and the Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD) Network have produced a series of how-to guides and films to help local areas meet the needs of people with PMLD.
The guides are aimed at families, commissioners and others who are responsible for supporting or developing services for people with PMLD.
There are ten guides on a range of topics, which outline what good services and support for people with PMLD look like. Each guide has a section which will help families and others to challenge and campaign where people with PMLD are not getting the right support. There is also an overarching commissioning guide which tells commissioners how to make it happen. This includes checklists for commissioners on each of the topics.
- How-to guide 1: advocacy
- How-to guide 2: clinical procedures
- How-to guide 3: communication
- How-to guide 4: health
- How-to guide 5: housing
- How-to guide 6: personalisation
- How-to guide 7: support for families
- How-to guide 8: training the workforce
- How-to guide 9: what people do in the day
- How-to guide 10: wheelchairs
- How-to guide 11: commissioning
There are six films that accompany some of the guides, which beautifully illustrate the importance of making these changes, and the impact that the right support can have on the lives of people with PMLD and their families.