This presentation by Alison Moores, Director of Nursing and Practice, Devon Partnership NHS Trust, shows how accurate, high quality and timely data is driving improvements in local mental health services.
Download Quality and safety: using information to assure quality and achieve governance or read it below
Alison suggests ingredients for effective quality governance include:
- Team to Board lines of accountability
- Clarity of standards and metrics to measure them.
- Active and ‘real time’ use of information at the right level (ie governance is not about writing reports)
- Use the information to measure emerging risk and be clear about the actions that will follow.
Useful questions to consider include:
- How do commissioners move from ‘assurance from data’ to ‘assurance that data is being used to improve services’?
- How far should quality measures be standardised?
- How will providers, commissioners and people who use services work together to decide the measures of quality?
- How do we balance data value with data cost?