In this presentation, Paul Jenkins, Rethink Mental Illness Chief Executive Officer, provides a summary of the Rethink Commission key findings and recommendations.
- Established to mark 100 anniversary of coining of term “schizophrenia”.
- Independent multi-disciplinary expert group chaired by Sir Robin Murray.
- Scoping current experience of people with schizophrenia and making recommendations for improving outcomes.
- 6 public evidence sessions, 80 experts, 2500 online responses.
- Report “The Abandoned Illness” published 14 November.
Why is the system not working?
- Insufficient attention given to prevention.
- Priorities driven by risk not recovery.
- Services fragmented and service users and families insufficiently central to decision making or listened to.
- Not doing things we know work.