This toolkit, produced by NHS England, aims to help GP Practices raise patient awareness of plans to extract coded GP data as part of the care.data programme, It also explains what to do if a patient objects to the use of personal confidential data beyond their direct care.
Care.data will make increased use of information from medical records with the intention of improving healthcare for example by ensuring that timely and accurate data are made available to NHS commissioners and providers so that they can better design integrated services for patients. In the future, approved researchers may also benefit.
The toolkit includes:
- GP checklist highlights the key things practices need to do
- GP guidance provides more detailed information for GP Practices
- GP technical guidance a technical specification of the GP data extraction
- GP guidance on fair processing obligations – Additional Guidance for GP Practices on meeting the fair processing obligations
- A poster and patient information leaflet about the care.data programme
For more information