|Contact||Psychotherapy Consultation Service|
|Telephone||020 7683 4900|
|Address||St Leonards Hospital, Nuttall Street, London, N1 5LZ|
The City and Hackney Primary Care Psychotherapy Consultation Service is an innovative outreach service provided by the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust which supports GPs to manage patients with complex mental health and other needs that result in frequent health service use.
The service supports people with physiologically explainable symptoms (also known as medically unexplained symptoms), people with personality disorders and people with chronic mental health problems. Many of the people it helps have two or more problems at the same time and many also have poor physical health.
The service aims to be able to help people who:
- visit their GP often, but things don’t change or improve
- find their GP has not been able to diagnose any medical cause for their symptoms, or has given them lots of treatments, but they are still worried that something else is wrong
- have problems maintaining their relationships, or find relating to and interacting with other people difficult
- have been referred to other mental health or psychotherapy services but find it difficult to attend appointments
- have been discharged by other mental health or psychotherapy services and feel they need something else
- have been told they do not meet criteria for other mental health or psychotherapy services.
The video below explains more about the Primary Care Psychotherapy Consultation Service.
The service improves health outcomes and leads to a reduction in health service use in both primary and secondary care settings. The resulting financial savings are equivalent to about a third of PCPCS treatment costs. The service also achieves very high satisfaction ratings among local GPs.
The service has been found to improve the mental health of 75% of its patients and to help more than half to recover significantly. It also helps to reduce the number of GP consultations, A&E visits, outpatient appointments and hospital admissions among its patients.
Read about an evaluation of the service, recently undertaken by the Centre for Mental Health.
Download an information leaflet for GPs