|Contact||Action on Postpartum Psychosis|
|Address||Hadyn Ellis Building, Maindy Road, Cardiff, CF24 4HQ|
Action on Postpartum Psychosis (APP) is a collaborative project run by women across the UK who have experienced Postpartum Psychosis (PP) and academic experts from Birmingham and Cardiff Universities.
Postpartum Psychosis (also called ‘Puerperal Psychosis’, ‘Postnatal Psychosis’, ‘Postpartum onset Bipolar Disorder’) is a severe mental illness, which has a sudden onset in the first few weeks following childbirth.
APP raises awareness, provides up-to-date information and facilitates peer support for women who have experienced PP and their families. APP also facilitates research and advocates for improved services for women and their families.
APP offers a range of services, including:
- leaflets & web resources for women, their families & health professionals
- events and workshops
- signposting to appropriate resources or sources of support
- an on-line PPTalk forum where women & their families can talk to others who have experienced PP
- a peer support network where women and their partners can contact others who have experienced PP
- specialist advice
- a free specialist second opinion psychiatry service at Cardiff University (referral from GP/psychiatrist required) to women who require expert advice about treatment, recovery or managing further pregnancies.
- advice and resources to members who would like to raise awareness or hold fundraising events in their local community
- a media response service, providing facts and statistics and putting journalists in touch with women who have experienced PP via our media panel