In November 2012, the independent Schizophrenia Commission published its report, ‘The Abandoned Illness’. This found that significant change is urgently required in the NHS and beyond to ensure that people affected by schizophrenia and psychosis, and their families, get the support they need.
Following its publication, Rethink Mental Illness has been working with NHS and independent mental health provider organisations to turn the Schizophrenia Commission’s recommendations into countrywide change. It will initially focus on trialling interventions in five areas:
- Providing therapeutic inpatient care
- Supporting people with mental illness into employment
- Improving physical health outcomes
- Creating a recovery-focused workforce
- Transforming the secure care pathway
Find out more: